Tip of the Tongue / Roof of the Mouth

Many people have heard of this practice in the martial arts, meditation, yoga, and even while doing the thymus thump.(Tapping the sternum stimulates the thymus gland to produce T-cells and enhances the immune system.) The practice of keeping the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth helps keep your focus, while meditating, driving, chopping vegetables, etc., keeping you calm and centered.How this may work is easy to explain, and I am happy to offer corroborating evidence as to the efficacy of this practice.The system of acupuncture dates back thousands of years.There are 12 meridians that energize our organ systems.

Two meridians are known as the Master Meridians – they are in charge of all the rest.They are called the Conception or Central Vessel and the Governing Vessel.The very fact they are called “vessels” gives us a clue.A meridian is a line of energy; a vessel is some sort of container. These two meridians, the Master Meridians, are important because they “contain” the secret of energy and vitality.Both of these meridians begin at the perineum – that part of the body between the genitals and the anus. The Central Vessel travels up the front - through the soft tissues of the body - and ends at the tip of the tongue.The Governing Vessel travels up the back - through the hard bony tissues of the vertebrae, over the bones of the cranium - and ends at the roof of the mouth.To keep the tip of the tongue at the roof of the mouth completes the “microcosmic circuit” and allows the energy to flow.When we tap the sternum, we direct this flowing energy to the thymus gland, stimulating its function – producing T-cells, thereby enhancing the immune response.

With the tongue completing this circuit, we can also tap over the right lower rib cage to stimulate the liver, the cranium to stimulate the brain, etc. the tip of the tongue at the roof of the mouth!You will find a spot that feels comfortable about an inch behind the teeth.In the past I have been asked, “What if you wear dentures?”My response has been that intention is of primary importance, so hold your intention and don’t worry about it.Now I know better and answer differently…technology can be useful in ways you least expect.At the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach, there is a machine called the H-wave.It is used to reduce pain, as well as to contract muscles relieving lymphatic and circulatory congestion.I gave a talk at the Institute one night about subtle energy fields and mentioned the tip of the tongue at the roof of the mouth.A few days later one of the guests mentioned that it really works.I asked her what she meant – thinking, like most people, she observed the calming, focusing effect.She said she was on the H-wave and her mind was wandering.She thought, “this would be a perfect time to have my tongue there; I’ll be attached to this machine for ½ hour.”

As soon as she put the tip of her tongue to the roof of her mouth, the contractions were noticeably more vigorous. Skeptical that such a simple thing could have such a profound effect, and thinking that her muscles were now “warmed up” and able to move easier, she took her tongue away.She was shocked when the contractions reduced their intensity.So she kept her tongue where it belongs for the rest of the therapy, and now keeps the habit throughout the day.She was at the Institute with her daughter and her mother.She mentioned this experience to her daughter who performed her own experiment and confirmed the results.

When the mother’s turn came, she noticed no difference at all!Then, realizing the mother was wearing dentures, the daughter asked her to remove them – and, sure enough, she could clearly see the difference!So now when anyone asks about dentures, the answer is: always remove the synthetic dentures when doing therapeutic work or meditation. This will allow the free flow of energy within the “microcosmic circuit.”So, unless you are eating, drinking or talking – when it’s impossible – always keep the tip of the tongue at the roof of the mouth!

9 comments:

Jen said...

I have a permanent bridge, obviously
I can't remove it. Does this mean I
can't get the benefits from keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth?

meditation said...

awwesome stuff thanks so much!!!

love meditating, secret postures rule!

Maryanne Lane LMT Cert.EFT-1 said...

Since the teeth are living things in my practice of energy medicine I request my clients to relax the tongue (when you really relax the tongue it not only relaxes every muscle in the body but it swells, your tongue tip ends up on the back of the upper front teeth and the top of tongue touch's the roof of mouth making a better connection. It also creates energized saliva.

Maryanne Lane LMT said...

By relaxing the tongue you automatically touch the back of your upper front teeth with tongue tip.the rest of the tongue swells and connects to roof of mouth, this creates a stronger connection. the teeth are living energy sources. This technique also relaxes the entire muscular system and creates healing without tension. The saliva increases and is energized by the connection. I am an energy therapist and this technique has proven itself in my book.

Barlow said...

Wow, that was a whole lot of pseudoscience packed into one small article!

I know you probably won't approve this comment, because you don't like to see disconfirming evidence to your claims, but I still had to give it a shot.
I don't mean to offend when I say that what you wrote is completely scientifically inaccurate.
If the tongue completes the circuit, then why isn't it always complete where the back of the tongue touches the back of the throat anytime you breath out your nose? Does the extra inch and a half really matter that much?

I hope you'll have the fortitude to let your readers know that you'll allow contradictory claims on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I deal with constant mind chatter. When I put the tip of my tongue to the ridge behind my teeth, the mind chatter stops. I'm so grateful for that it stops, but is there an easier, more permanent way to stop the mind chatter? I do meditation and neuroptimal neurofeedback has helped.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy great article nice info doing this technique also helps Centre both hemispheres of your brain... which in turn creates a nice loving balance within ones self ND the universe...

Kathe Pokorny said...

thank you for your article,I do for technics of meditation,but the tip to the tongue technique is the one I love the most.It makes me feel love,I can control my mind,it centers me and connects me to one self,the universe and I can do it anywhere. It also makes me smile and love.

Unknown said...

I am totally agreed with this blog, I have been practicing this stuff for 15 years. When I was kid, I was wondering that why a few kids doing very well in study even not doing hard work and I was not doing good even hard work. So, I started notice intelligent kids and I figured out that touching tongue at roof it helps to decrease stress, increase focus, memory power and thinking power.